Having a reliable internet connection is an essential requirement for everyone these days. Whether you’re working from home, streaming movies, or playing games online, a fast and stable internet connection is a blessing that can make all the difference in your online experience. In Australia, WiFi is one of the most popular ways to connect to the internet, and there are the best ways to test your WiFi speed to ensure that you’re getting the best and most amazing performance of the broadband service you are availing at your home.
Why do WiFi speed test in Australia?
The internet speed in Australia varies depending on your location, service provider, and plan. The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) recommends that users regularly test their internet speed to ensure that they’re getting the speeds they’re paying for.
Also, testing your WiFi speed can help you diagnose any problems with your internet connection.
For example, if you’re experiencing slow internet, testing your WiFi speed can help you determine whether the problem is with your WiFi or your internet service provider.
Best Ways to Attempt Wifi Speed Test
In this article, we will explore various methods to test WiFi speed in Australia, and help you find the best tool to meet up your needs.
Just have a look at them;
- Use an Online Wifi Speed Test Tool
- Use Your Router’s Diagnostic Tools
- Use a WiFi Analyzer App
- Testing Your WiFi Speed with Different Devices
Let’s dive into the detailed explanation of all of these best methods to check wifi speed.
Use an Online Wifi Speed Test Tool
- One of the most common ways to test your WiFi speed is to use an online speed test tool. You can go to https://tpgspeedtest.net/ in order to perform your online wifi speed test. It’s such an amazing tool that gives you accurate measurements of your internet’s upload and download speed, ping, and latency. You can enjoy this tool for free, without paying a single penny for it. Just visit the site and you just have to click on the ‘start button’ and Boom! here you go.
- There are many free and paid speed test tools available online that can give you an accurate reading of your WiFi speed. Some other popular speed test tools in Australia include Ookla, Speedtest.net, and Fast.com.
When using an online speed test tool, it’s very important to ensure that no other devices are using your WiFi network at the same time. This can affect the accuracy of your test results.
Use Your Router’s Diagnostic Tools for Wifi Speed Test
- Most modern routers come with built-in diagnostic tools that allow you to the WiFi speed test. These tools can provide you with a more accurate reading of your WiFi speed as they measure the speed between your router and your device, rather than between your device and a remote server.
To access your router’s diagnostic tools, you will need to log in to your router’s administration panel. This is usually done by typing your router’s IP address into your web browser and entering your router’s login credentials.
Once you have access to your router’s diagnostic tools, you can run a speed test to see the speed of your WiFi connection.
Use a WiFi Analyzer App
- Another way for the WiFi speed test is to use a WiFi analyzer app. These apps can provide you with detailed information about your WiFi network, including the strength of your signal and the speed of your connection.
Some popular WiFi analyzer apps in Australia include,
When using a WiFi analyzer app, it’s essential to ensure that you’re using the latest version of the app and that it’s compatible with your device.
3. Test Your WiFi Speed with Different Devices
- If you’re experiencing slow WiFi speeds, it may be worth testing your WiFi speed with different devices. This will help you determine whether the issue is with your WiFi network or your device.
For example, if your laptop is experiencing slow WiFi speeds, try testing the speed on your smartphone or tablet. If the speeds are still slow, the issue is likely with your WiFi network.
4. Hire a Professional
- If you’re still experiencing slow WiFi speeds, despite trying all the methods above, it may be worth hiring a professional for the wifi speed test so that to diagnose and fix the issue.
Many IT professionals and technicians in Australia specialize in WiFi network troubleshooting and can help you diagnose and fix any issues with your WiFi network.
Best Practices before testing WiFi speed –You must Consider!
No matter which method you choose, it’s essential to follow these best practices before wifi speed test to get accurate results:
- Use a wired connection: If possible, connect your computer directly to your modem using an Ethernet cable. This will ensure that you’re testing your internet speed and not your WiFi speed.
- Close other programs: Close all other programs and applications on your device before testing your WiFi speed. This will ensure that your device isn’t using any bandwidth while the wifi speed test is running.
- Test at different times of the day: Test your WiFi speed at different times of the day to get an accurate picture of your average speed. Internet speeds can vary depending on the time of day and the number of users on the network.
Best Tips to enhance your WiFi speed
If you’re not getting the speeds you want, here are some tips to help you improve your WiFi speed:
- Move your router: Place your router in a central location away from walls and other obstacles. This will help ensure that the signal is distributed evenly throughout your home.
- Use a WiFi extender: If you have a large home or a lot of devices, consider using a WiFi extender to boost your signal.
- Upgrade your router: If your router is old or outdated, consider upgrading to a newer model with faster speeds and better coverage.
- Change your WiFi channel: If you’re experiencing interference from other devices, try changing your WiFi channel. Most routers have several different channels to choose from.
- Limit the number of devices in use: If you have a lot of devices connected to your network, try limiting the number of devices to improve your WiFi speed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How fast should my internet speed be in Australia?
The recommended minimum internet speed in Australia is 25 Mbps for downloading and 5 Mbps for uploading.
Is TPG a reliable wifi speed test tool?
Yes, TPG is the most reliable and widely used speed test tool. However, it’s important to follow the best practices outlined above to get accurate results.
Can I test my WiFi speed on my phone or tablet?
Yes, you can download a speed test app on your phone or tablet to test your WiFi speed.
How often should I test my Wi-Fi speed?
It’s recommended to test your Wi-Fi speed at least once a month to ensure it’s working optimally.
What can affect my Wi-Fi speed?
Several factors can affect Wi-Fi speed, including,
- Distance between the router and the device
- Number of devices connected to the network
- Interference from other devices.
How do I fix slow Wi-Fi speed?
To fix slow Wi-Fi speed, try positioning the router in an open space away from obstacles and electronic devices, close all background apps that use Wi-Fi, and minimize interference from nearby devices.
How many Mbps is fast?
Is 25 Mbps fast enough for Netflix?
In conclusion, a wifi speed test in Australia is essential to ensure that you’re getting the best possible connection. Whether you’re using a speed test website, app, or your internet service provider’s tool, it’s important to follow best practices to get accurate results.
If you’re experiencing slow internet, follow the abovementioned tips to improve your WiFi speed. By following these best practices, you can ensure that you’re getting the speeds you need for all your online activities.
If you have any queries relating to the article, feel free to contact us and also throw your comments in the comment section below.